How to Do Well

First, I don't want you to stress about grades in this course. I know they are important to you, and I care that you care about them. This course is designed for everyone to make an "A" or "B," and this can happen if you strive to do your best. If you come to class every day, turn in work on time, revise your writing, and follow assignment instructions, you should make at least a "B"!

That being said, let yourself make a "C" if that's what you need, or if that is a realistic grade given your life outside of school. It is okay to make a "C" in this course, but be careful of the borderline between a "C" and a "D"--keep safe by being diligent about finishing assignments on time.

Whatever grade you'd like to earn, doing well in this course depends on your mindset as a student. Actually, one goal of this class is to figure out what kind of student you are and what kind of student you want to be. Here is some important questions to ask yourself:

  • "Why am I here, in school?"
  • "What can I achieve in this writing class?"
  • "How will the skills I practice here help me later?"

I encourage you to come talk to me if you are not sure how to become the kind of student you want to be. It can be difficult to adjust to a college mindset, but you can do it!